So You Want To Be A Content Creator


So You Want To Be A Content Creator

What I'm learning about creating content for social media

July 6, 2026

 

I have been throwing my thumbs at creating an online presence for my travel vlog. This has come with many challenges, though perseverance that is truly impressive. 

When I first began recording clips, I was fixing up a travel trailer with my partner, and then when things started going wrong while we traveled, I froze, not wanting to be perceived as a moron. But as said best by Steven Bartlett of Diary of a CEO, "embarrassment is the price of entry". Leaning into this, I have been open to sharing more and more online, though until beginning my independent study with Gonzaga followed by my Capstone, I had not found ways to make this a consistent brand image across the board, which really taught me how much you need to know in order to be successful in this industry, especially without a team to back you. Responsibilities for a travel vlogger include: 

  • Owning an LLC and managing business assets
  • LLC state taxes and accounting
  • Videography
  • Narration/scripting
  • Storyboarding/storytelling
  • audio selection and intent of emotion
  • being comfortable in front of a camera
  • site/lead sourcing
  • web development 
  • systems calibration and social media platform backend building
  • graphic design
  • email marketing
  • SEO skills
  • Merch Store
  • audience recognition
  • and actually getting out and having experiences worth sharing.

I am proud of the many commitment to seeing through this digital presence because this is the travel job I want. I aspire to increase my revenue from social media by utilizing Repurpose.io which has allowed me to streamline the posting process which is the stuck-point I kept finding myself at. Now, using this tool, I can post to Instagram and it will be delivered to most other platforms. I am impressed with all that I have built out thus far, and want to keep growing. 


While I and my husband each finish school, my focus is growing this brand so we can have an income that supports our travel desires. So far I have built out a website that is very SEO friendly and favored well on search results. I have created merch and a shopify platform to sell these items. Copilots Explore is found on most sites and has a (currently not super frequent) e-newsletter established. I have gotten a lot better at videography and talking to the camera over the last few years, and I feel comfortable gaining permission to film while in less public spaces. Luckily, I have loved Canva for the past few years, and have enjoyed adopting CapCut as my favorite video editing platform. I use Copyright free music through Uppbeat and have been including credits screens at the end showcasing new subscribers who are supporting the page on various platforms. 


SO MUCH TO LEARN but I am proud of where these classes and my emphasis in digital media strategy has taken me. 


If it all works out, you'll find me on a sailboat in the Mediterranean...

unnamed.gif

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incredible Thai Food in Port Townsend - Banana Leaf Thai Bistro

Developing Copilots Explore - Travel Life, Capstone Edition. Refining The Social Media Process

The Log From The Sea of Cortez - A Maritime Memoir with Lasting Legacy